Friday, February 09, 2007

Odd Spot

There are a lot of odd things about Bermuda, so much in fact that it'll require another instalment another day. But to start things off, this is Johnny Barnes:

This guy stands on the roundabout entering the city of Hamilton and shouts "I love you" to each passing motorist on their way to work. I've gone past the roundabout as early as 5.30am and as late as 9.30am and he's always been there, rain or shine, expressing his love for everyone and everything. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a really nice gesture and puts a big grin on my face every day before work but it is definitely a little odd.

He's actually been doing this for as long as anyone can remember (at least 25 years), and I have no idea what he does with the rest of his day... one day I'll get around to stopping and having a yarn with him. Anyway, the peope of Bermuda love him so much that about 20 meters further on from his roundabout a life size statute has been cast in his honour. I've never heard of statutes for people while they're still alive (except Saddam and Hitler of course), but everything n Bermuda is a little different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home